do you like cake?
then you will most definitely like the following recipe.
BROWN BUTTER CAKE WITH APPLE&PEAR
(or basically any other fruit your prefer)
- 7 tbsp / 100 g butter
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup / 160 g maple syrup, or more to taste
- 1 cup / 240 ml coconut milk
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml almond milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lenghtwise
- 1 cup / 100 g almond flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp / 125 g coconut flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pear, 2 apples / core removed, thinly sliced
- To make the brown butter, place the butter in a saucepan and melt on medium high heat. Stir until it melts completely. Continue to cook the butter, stirring frequently, until the milk solids begin to brown and the butter starts to smell nutty. This will take about 10-15 minutes. Take the butter off the heat and pour it in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 25cm baking pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine egg yolks, maple syrup, coconut milk, almond milk and the scraped seeds of the vanilla bean. Add the warm and melted brown butter and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth. Taste the dough and adjust the sweetness by adding more maple syrup, if you like.
- In a squeaky clean measuring cup or bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and carefully fold the fluffy egg whites into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and arrange the fruit on top and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool completely and serve with coconut yoghurt/ sour cream/ whipped cream/ fresh berries/ chopped nuts!
glutenfree/grainfree and paleo, if you don’t mind eating dairy from time to time.