KITCHENSTORY #3 and some behind the scenes at home and my studio
we met at my appartment, had some coffee and after they admired my tiny kitchen and talked about the prints and art on my walls, we headed to my studio to make a cake and style a simple table setting!
if you’re curious about the whole day, hop over to Foodvergnügens Kitchenstory#3 for ALL the photos and an interview about my job! or check out this instagram post for even more photos! (thank you SO much, Nora)
this is seriously exciting and it’s still hard to believe that my work is interesting enough to be asked about! thanks again!
and if you’re here for the recipe, I’ll now stop rambling and just share it. here we go:
HAZELNUT CAKE WITH AMARETTO GANACHE AND CRANBERRY JAM
– 200 g ground hazelnuts
– 160 g ground almonds
– 200 g unrefined sugar
– 100 g cornstarch
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 4 eggs
– 160 ml olive oil
– 150 ml almond milk
– 200 g good quality dark chocolate
– 150 ml cream
– 70 ml Amaretto
– 250 g fresh Cranberries
– juice of 2 Oranges
– 5 tbsp unrefined sugar
– 100 g finely chopped chocolate
– 1 tbsp butter
- The ganache can be prepared a day in advance. Finely chop the chocolate and place it in a bowl. Pour the cream into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Take it off the heat and pour it over the chocolate. Add the Amaretto and wait for 2 minutes. Stir the cream-chocolate mix until the chocolate has melted and everything is well combined. Place the bowl in the fridge overnight.
- To make the cranberry jam, combine the cranberries, orange juice and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stirring frequently let the cranberries cook for about ten minutes until a thick jam forms. Scoop the jam into a bowl and let cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line three 18cm cake tins with parchment paper and butter and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Add the ground hazelnuts and almonds to a pan and roast them on low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until they are golden brown and have a fragrant smell. Immediately transfer the toasted, ground nuts to a plate or bowl and let cool completely.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the toasted nuts, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Mix to combine.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs, oil and almond milk. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix to form a smooth batter.
- Devide the batter evenly into the prepared baking tins and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Take the cakes out of the oven and let cool completely.
- To assemble the cake place one cake on a plate or cake stand. Using a spatula or the back of a spoon scoop a generous amount of amaretto-ganache on the cake and spread evenly. Add 2-3 tablespoons of cranberry jam and carefully spread it evenly on the ganache. Place the second cake on top and repeat the steps with the ganache & cranberry jam. Place the third cake on top.
- In a bowl combine the finely chopped chocolate and butter. Place the bowl in a bigger bowl and add hot water to create a water bath. Stir often while the chocolate and butter are melting. Carefully pour the ganache glaze over the cake and quickly spread it over the edges so that it rubs down the sides.
- Decorate the cake with freeze dried raspberries, more chocolate, cocoa nibs, and truffles.
- Make some coffee or open up a bottle of bubbly and enjoy the cake!