paleo chocolate cakes, topped with date caramel and coconut yoghurt.
featuring professional assistant/handmodel/stylist/plateholder/photographer Sascha Hilgers
do you like cake?
then you will most definitely like the following recipe.
BROWN BUTTER CAKE WITH APPLE&PEAR
(or basically any other fruit your prefer)
- 7 tbsp / 100 g butter
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup / 160 g maple syrup, or more to taste
- 1 cup / 240 ml coconut milk
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml almond milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lenghtwise
- 1 cup / 100 g almond flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp / 125 g coconut flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pear, 2 apples / core removed, thinly sliced
- To make the brown butter, place the butter in a saucepan and melt on medium high heat. Stir until it melts completely. Continue to cook the butter, stirring frequently, until the milk solids begin to brown and the butter starts to smell nutty. This will take about 10-15 minutes. Take the butter off the heat and pour it in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 25cm baking pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine egg yolks, maple syrup, coconut milk, almond milk and the scraped seeds of the vanilla bean. Add the warm and melted brown butter and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth. Taste the dough and adjust the sweetness by adding more maple syrup, if you like.
- In a squeaky clean measuring cup or bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and carefully fold the fluffy egg whites into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and arrange the fruit on top and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool completely and serve with coconut yoghurt/ sour cream/ whipped cream/ fresh berries/ chopped nuts!
glutenfree/grainfree and paleo, if you don’t mind eating dairy from time to time.
the beginning of january – when everyone is trying to stick to their new year’s resolutions and the the mail-program is still hibernating – that’s the perfect time to just pack your bags and spend a weekend somewhere nice.
after searching the internetz for hours (days!) I finally found the “Rote Scheune” in a small village called “Fergitz” – just an hour outside of berlin. close to a lake and forrests, it’s just a pitcure-perfect place to unwind, take walks and snuggle up on the sofa with copious amounts of food.
hope you’ll enjoy this little peek into my short january-getaway!
ps: I didn’t just use the time to take a few photos, but to also learn a new skill. there might have been a moment when I had to call my dad to ask “how the f*** do I start a proper fire in a fireplace?” mission accomplished. new skills unlocked. thanks dad!
foodstyling / styling / hand modelling by Audrey Cosson
thank you for this awesome and fun project!
“a gathering with likeminded people – sharing ideas and thoughts” is what Karoline of Flavamingo and I had in mind when we thought of this workshop!
And just a few days before christmas 2016 we got to spend a lovely day with six fellow creatives to eat, drink, create, photograph and exchange knowledge. The sisterMAG-office with its large rooms and amazing light was just the perfect location to hold the workshop. It truly was an inspiring day – I loved seeing everyone play around with the props, the vibrant&beautiful food and their cameras. Hope you’re enjoying this little glimpse behind the scenes!
Thanks to everyone for making this such a special day!
Many thanks to IAMDELICIOUS for the sweet tartes&cakes and mad props to KAHLA , KNALLE Popkornditorei, O’Donnell Moonshine and Goldhahn&Sampson for your generous support! Being able to prepare some goodie bags for the participants, with products I truly love, just made me extremly happy! <3
regardles of how weird this year for all of us was, I’d like to thank you for your ongoing support, nice words and the great projects I got to work on!
again, ELLIJOT and I joined creative forces to present you this fun little christmas card!
here’s to a fantastic new year! cheers!
Food, Styling & Photography Workshop
Join Claudia Gödke and Karoline Kristen of Flavamingo for a one-day
Food, Styling &Photography Workshop this December in Berlin.
We’ll be gathering at the gorgeous sisterMAG Office for a fun-filled day of creativity: from creating and feasting on edible art to building your photography skills and putting together beautifully styled food stories, this intimate and hands-on workshop is for anyone, beginner or advanced, who would like to spend a day with likeminded creatives learning new skills and tanking up on inspiration!
After getting to know each other over sweet treats from I AM DELICIOUS, tea and coffee, together with plant-based chef Karoline you’ll prepare beautifully plated, whimsical dishes. Not only will you learn special culinary techniques and presentation tips, you’ll also gain a better appreciation of plant-based cuisine.
You’ll spend time preparing your creations and then move on to styling and photographing them under the guidance of Claudia. Always wanted to know how to create a beautiful, moody shot with natural light? Claudia will walk you through the process of a food shoot including building a set, selecting props, composing the image, and tethered shooting. With a bag full of new tricks, you’ll also have the opportunity to create and shoot your own little set. After the sun sets we’ll have plenty of time to look into the editing process and answer your questions.
We’re looking forward to sharing ALL our knowledge and spending this magical day with you.
– Introductions + tarts from I Am DELICIOUS + coffee & tea (no cheesy name tags involved, we promise!)
– Food: creating beautiful plant-based tapas and dishes
– Photography & Styling: from creating a mood board to setting up your own set
– More styling & photography
– Editing + Q&A
– Cake & bubbly
Date: 17 December 2016
Time: 9:00 – 5:00
Where: sisterMAG Office, Berlin
Includes: Coffee, tea & tarts, lunch, cake, cake & bubbly (vegan & vegetarian friendly)
Bring: Camera (DSLR recommended but all cameras welcome)
Reserve your spot: email@example.com
*An EFT will secure your place
being allergic to almost all raw autumn fruits I have to find other ways to enjoy them. as much as I like compote, it just gets tiring after a while. so spiced fruit bake with star anise, black peppercorns, cloves and a bit of maple syrup is the answer! served with yoghurt and nuts it’s the perfect breakfast for days when the air is crisp and cold.
late summer in Århus and Odense
just a few favourites: